top of page
  • Writer's pictureBruno Asoka

Gunners over the moon as Nketiah's double fires Arsenal to victory over the Red Devils

While also extending the winners' unbeaten streak in the league to 13 games, Eddie Nketiah's 90th-minute goal gave Arsenal a crucial 3-2 victory against Manchester United in the Premier League title chase.

Every game between now and the end of the season is critical to Arsenal's prospects of winning the title for the first time in 19 years because Manchester City, who defeated Wolves 3-0 earlier in the day to trim the gap at the top of the table to two points, is hard on their heels. Even though they started off against the Red Devils with their usual zeal and determination, they lacked precision. United, on the other hand, entered the match riding a nine-game winning streak and an unbeaten streak of ten games.

And shortly after the quarter-hour mark, the visitors took the lead due to a magical moment from the talented Marcus Rashford. The England international picked up the ball in the middle of the field, ran it through Thomas Partey's knees, set himself up, and unleashed a bullet-like shot into the bottom corner. However, it seemed as though that effort roused Arsenal, as they soon found themselves on equal footing. After a brief period of rapid passing, Granit Xhaka delivered a precise cross directly to Nketiah, who expertly beat David de Gea.

After the break, the two teams resumed their fast-paced play, and this time, Arsenal scored first. Bukayo Saka, a member of the Three Lions, gave the goalkeeper no chance with his frightening drive. He did so to become just the third Arsenal player to score in three straight league games against the 20-time winners. Only Aaron Ramsdale's outstanding save prevented Rashford from scoring his second goal of the game as United responded nearly immediately. The home team's shot-stopper, who had been portraying a calm demeanor up until that point, was directly responsible for the visitors' restoration of parity when he mishandled Christian Eriksen's corner and allowed Lisandro Martnez to head the ball over the goal line.

Saka hit the post with a deflected effort and Nketiah forced De Gea into an instinctive save as it looked as though United would stand firm. However, with less than 60 seconds of normal time remaining, Nketiah poked home at the back post to clinch a vital three points. With a five-point lead at the top of the table and a game in hand, Mikel Arteta’s hopes of delivering the title continue to look better and better.

1 view0 comments
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page